Sunday, August 26, 2012

ON LEADERSHIP...

My late Mom always told me when I was young that there are people who are naturally born leaders... "It's in their blood to lead", she said. When I grew older, I read just the opposite. Vince Lombardi, for instance, said that  "Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort, which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile."

Reflecting on these two opposing views, I came to a conclusion that both views were correct. - leaders are both born and made... To be a leader means that the charisma which makes people follow you and believe in you is already there. But, leadership must be well directed. Like in the making of a clay pot, it must be molded and crafted to achieve the fine features of good leadership. 


Leadership is not something to be abused. I have seen so many leaders (politicians are one) who have gone and terribly done wrong. These are the kind of leaders who try to play God. We all know that such abusive type of  leadership always collapses. I have also seen and read about very good leaders. What do they have in common? First, they belong...second, they listen. and third, they judge with wisdom. Therefore, for me, effective leadership must be in the blood... be made... and  be filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment