Sunday, December 9, 2012

THE PRIEST WHO IS ALWAYS LATE


THE PRIEST WHO IS ALWAYS LATE

We have a reliever/guest priest who says mass every 5:30 PM Saturday, 4:00 PM Sunday, and 7:00 PM, Sunday. He is a young, six footer, neat and good looking priest. His homily?…hmmmnnn, I should say, average (my personal opinion).  The problem is that he is always (or should I say, habitually) late for mass - 15 minutes to 30 minutes. This really annoys the parishioners. He is already known as Fr. Late.

The worst happened just this December 8, 2012 (Saturday) when he came one hour late! I could have left and attend mass in another parish as their mass, being a special day commemorating the Solemnity of the Immaculate Concepcion plus their town fiesta, was every hour.  I have an appointment at 7:00 PM (perhaps other parishioners, too), but I can’t leave as I was the commentator of the mass. I have read the mass intentions, marriage banns, including the announcements that are usually read before the mass ends. I had requested the choir to teach the congregation how to sing the responsorial psalm, etc., just to keep the congregation from leaving. Unfortunately, several had left.

When the priest arrived, he put on his vestment and went straight to say mass. Alas! I did not have the chance to coordinate with him, thus, the first part of lighting the second Advent candle was so disorganized as he tried to cut things short - to my confusion and that of the invited family who was requested to light the candles. The rite proceeded, anyway.

During his homily, he did not say sorry or apologize, but blamed the traffic, instead… he has not learned after all these time being a local in the province? What do you call that? I live about a kilometer from our parish which would take less than  five minutes without traffic. But, since I know the terrible traffic along this route, I usually leave our house one hour earlier, especially, if I am to serve in the mass.   

My question is...is being (always/habitually) late an excuse or privilege of being a priest?...and that, he does not sin in doing so?  I remember he used to say in his homily that if the priest is late, nobody is late. I find this statement a form of satirical wit which is not funny at all. In his homily this day (after being late for 1hr), he said that waiting is not always exciting and that we should know the pain of waiting - as what we have just experienced -, because that is what Advent is all about. Oh, well…he is not the messiah.  

Postscript:
Our parish priest said that I just pray for the priest who is always late. Another priest told me that  I should have more patience. They have the point, but I would have preferred to hear that they will advise (fraternal advice) and remind the priest to be more punctual.


An Update:

Today, December 25, 2012,  I was 30 minutes earlier for the 7:30 AM mass as I have to serve. The church started to be filled-up with church-goers as it is Christmas Day. Ten minutes had passed, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 min and this same priest has not arrived! Finally, it was announced that Fr. Late (as he is popularly called) is not arriving and that the parishioners could just wait for the the 9:00 AM mass. Many got infuriated. Never...never in my entire life that no priest officiated a mass on Christmas Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment